Summary of Worrying Reports out of Iran
February 22, 2020 Premium Preview
- Officially, there are about 750 suspected cases of COVID-19. This suggests that there are thousands of actual cases.
- Canadian visitor to Iran comes back to Canada and tests positive for COVID-19. Suggests it is widespread in Iran.
- Lebanese visitor to Iran returns and tests positive for COVID-19
- Iranian officials have not been able to trace the 19 confirmed cases or the 4 deaths back to Chinese or visitors to China. Suggestst that the virus is already widespread in the population and has spread out far beyond the original cariers.
- Iran is actually supressing news about COVID-19. People that have posted videos or messages have been arrested.
- Anecdotal reports in Iran indicate that there is a surge of “pneumonia”cases at hospitals all over the country.
- Iran is ill-equipped to deal with the crisis. Infrastructure is highly inadequate. Health workers are extremely exposed as there is not enough protective equipments. There are reports that some medical workers refuse to go to work due to poor conditions.